The following article was written by Roon12
What is Yohimbine?
Yohimbine is an indole alkaloid found in the bark of the Corynanthe yohimbe tree. The standardised form discussed here is the hydrochloride salt form Yohimbine HCL. It acts primarily by inhibiting the action of Alpha-2 Adrenergic Receptors, exhibiting stimulant and lipolytic effects.
Due to acting on Alpha receptors it has the ability to preferentially target ‘stubborn fat’ where high concentrations of these receptors are found. In males this is typically the lower abdominal area and low back while in females it is predominantly the hip and thigh areas.
Is this protocol for me?
The goal of this protocol is to remove the last bits of stubborn fat, therefore a degree of leanness is required. These fatty deposits are the last to go so as a rough guide decent abdominal visibility and vascularity are indicators this may be for you.
There are four main components to the fat loss protocol, below is a brief summary of each:
- Yohimbine HCL: Hopefully this is self-explanatory!
- Stimulant of Choice: potentiates the effects of the Yohimbine, several variations will be described below
- Fasting periods: The effects of Yohimbine are negated by the presence of insulin in the bloodstream, therefore it should be used in the fasted state for maximum efficacy
- Cardio: Low intensity fasted cardio following yohimbine ingestion will act synergistically to enhance the fat burning effects
Choosing a Stimulant
There are several stimulants that can be used in conjunction with yohimbine to enhance the effects, each with pros and cons. Since the effects will be amplified it is important to build up the dose steadily and to use only one stimulant alongside yohimbine.
- Caffeine: This is the best choice for a first time user. It?s cheap, readily available, has few sides on its own and is well tolerated by most.
- Clenbuterol: A potent thermogenic in its own right, when used in conjunction with yohimbine there are several beneficial effects. Yohimbine will extend the active life of a single clen dose by a few hours as well as delaying the receptor down regulation induced by clen, allowing it to be run continuously for 5-6 weeks.
- Ephedrine: This is the combination most likely to lead to side effects. Due to the synergistic action, the effects of this combo (both positive and negative) are much greater than the sum of each separately so use this with extreme caution and dose conservatively.
- Yohimbine: Work up to a max dose of 0.2mg per kilogram (~0.1mg/lb) of bodyweight. Start at half of your max dose and adjust as necessary
Stimulants (choose one!)
- Caffeine: 200mg should be plenty for most people (note that coffee is NOT an acceptable substitute here)
- Clenbuterol: Maximum dosage is a ratio of 1mg Yohimbine : 8mcg Clen
- Ephedrine: Max dose 25mg Ephedrine. The amount of Yohimbine may need to be decreased
Low intensity cardio is done 30-45 minutes after taking the Yohimbine to allow it time to enter the system. Due to the combined stimulant effects, yohimbine can cause a falsely elevated heart rate; i.e. exertion that would normally raise HR to 140bpm may actually raise HR to 150-160bpm, thus any form of HIIT or weight training is not recommended. I would suggest incline walking as a good option but any form is fine.
The cardio is not absolutely necessary to the efficacy of this method but is highly recommended and will result in greater fat burn than the two parts separately. If cardio is not performed then the fasted period should be extended as described below to allow normal daily activity to expend calories.
This method is to be used first thing in the morning, while fasted as insulin is at its lowest here. It can be done every day if needed, with or without cardio. If using every day I would suggest 1-2 days of no cardio per week (at least to start).
- Immediately on waking take the full dose of Yohimbine and your Stimulant
- 30-45 minutes later perform 20-60 minutes of Low Intensity Cardio
- Post-cardio, ideally continue the fasted period for 2-3 hours, however a small protein/fat only meal can be consumed 45 mins post-cardio if necessary
- Eat as normal for the rest of the day
- If no cardio is performed then the fasted period should last for 3-4 hours post ingestion of Yohimbine, with regular eating resumed from then on. If absolutely necessary a small protein/fat meal can be consumed at least 2 hours after taking Yohimbine
This method can cause problems in some due to the synergy of the compounds used and the false heart rate induced by Yohimbine. For this reason it is advisable to build up the doses slowly, starting with Yohimbine + Caffeine and ensuring the cardio is kept moderate. The cardio here should also replace any other cardio done that day to prevent excessive fatigue. On a similar note, leg training should ideally be performed on a ?cardio? day using this method but later on in the afternoon/evening. If you train early then leg sessions should be the day after.